Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Little White Lies

I wrote this poem after a near confrontation with the HK Immigration Department. Airyn's visa was running out and she went to the ImmDept for an extension. The officer, too bone idle to handle the matter himself told her to go to Macau for the day and that she would be given an extension upon her return. Fortunately I accompanied her as when we got back to HK we were told that the ImmDept were under no obligation to grant another visa. I was just about to gird my loins for battle when the lady officer relented and granted the visa.


Stewart Sloan

Do you remember a time when
As a child we automatically believed and respected
Anything told to us by an adult, or
A person in uniform?

Adults didn't lie, did they?
Policemen and firemen, the Gods of my youth
NEVER lied, did they?
Of course not!

It was just, well,
They didn't always tell the whole truth.
Sometimes it was just easier to tell a little white lie,
Or a fib.

No real harm done;
No one would be hurt, would they?
And everyone could just get on
With what they were doing.

Naivety dictates that I believe anyone in authority.
If a policeman tells me it is safe to cross the road,
Or a fireman tells me it is safe to re-enter the building,
Or a person from immigration tells me to do something......

....I believe them, wouldn't you?

Because people in authority wouldn't intentionally hurt us.
But under the uniforms they are just people.
People who are tired and want to go home to their families and
A little while lie helps them to get there sooner rather than later.

So, yes they do tell little while lies
And yes, it does cause harm
Perhaps not insurmountable harm but
Harm nonetheless.

And we have to put our trust in these people.........

No comments: